Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Thor's Progress

I don't want to repeat this 50 times so I will just say it here. Thor is recovering from the rotovirus. He hasn't thrown up since Sunday, although he still has horrific smelling rotovirus diarrhea. But even that is slowing down. Thor has enjoyed hanging out at home with John the past few days. He is not enjoying his new food regimine.

We are going through one can of the new formula every 3 days and at $50 bucks per can, we need a new plan. (Contrary to popular belief, lawyers are not made of money.)  So we are offering him baby food morning, noon, and night. He doesn't like it. He screams. But we manage to get 2-3 bites in each time. Hopefully, he will decide he likes it. We are also mixing cereal in his bottle with his formula--something I SWORE I would never do for a child--to 1) get him used to the texture and 2) hope he starts to like the taste and will eat it off a spoon.  I also have a very sweet friend whose baby has the same formula and she shares with me. :-) Thanks, Robin! And my secret weapon . . . .EBAY!

Yep, I am bidding on cases of the formula on eBay. It's harder than you would think. There are some people that sit on there night and day and monopolize all of the ElaCare formula. But, I have managed to snag a few cases for less than half what I could buy it in the stores for. Now normally, I would not buy something as important and sensitive as baby food online. But a coworker whose baby had the same problem told me that's what she did to afford it and never had any problems.  All the cans (and cases) are sealed and sellers aren't allowed to sell expired formula on eBay--the sellers have to post the date it expires and most of them take a picture of the expiration date to prove it. And desperate times call for desperate measures.  (I mean really, FIFTY DOLLARS??) So a 6-can case of ElaCare would cost $300 (plus tax) retail.  I just scored a case for $98.55 no tax, shipping included. Not necessarily a "bargain" considering it is still $16.43 for a small, 14 oz. can, but super-duper better than I could buy it elsewhere.

It seemed like a good idea at the time, but if I could have a do-over, I would not have stopped breast feeding!

Anyway, Thor is now used to the new formula--after many tearful hours trying to hold out on us. We will go see the pediatric GI doctor in a couple weeks and see how Thor is doing. He's finally starting to look like normal again, although thinner. And today, he is a whopping 9 months old!

No comments:

Post a Comment