Friday, August 19, 2011

Thor's First Day at Daycare

On Tuesday, August 16 I spent the day interviewing ASU law students for a summer clerk position at Gammage and Burnham. And Thor spent his first day at daycare.

I really like the daycare I picked for him. You have to have a badge to get past the security gate to drive into the parking lot. You have to have a badge to access the building and then you have to have a code to get into the door of the daycare. The infant room has a phone so I can call Thor's teacher or she can call me anytime during the day. The big deciding factor for me was that the daycare has a nursing room for moms to come and nurse or pump.

So Thor's first day he was asleep when I dropped him off. Afterwards I thought I should have woken him up before I left because he fell asleep in his own car to wake up to strangers in a strange room.

At lunch I rushed over there to nurse him. He was awake sitting in a swing with his own blankey. He was gripping the blankey with both hands pulled right up under his chin. His eyes were as big as dinner plates. Poor baby Thor looked too petrified to even scream! It took a second for him to realize that it was me talking to him and when he did, I could tell that he was relieved. We spent the lunch hour in the nursing room rocking and nursing until he fell asleep.

When I came back at 4 to pick Thor up he was asleep again. He had eaten well and managed to have 2 blow outs in his diaper so he used both sets of extra clothes I sent.

I hadn't realized until that day how much I was going to miss him. And how tired I was going to be after going back to work! These last few days before the dreaded Monday we have been snuggling a lot together in between running errands. But I will always be grateful for the last 12 weeks of paid maternity leave.

1 comment:

  1. I am glad you found a good place that you like. Sounds like a win win!
    Sabre looks so cute with Thor too!:) Miss you!

    ReplyDelete