Monday, July 16, 2012

UNO: Thor's First Birthday

I can't take credit for coming up with the UNO party theme, but it sure was fun to execute.  This was the invite we sent out (I made it myself):

Online I had seen a lot of shirts for the birthday baby that other people made. I thought I would try to use the bleach method that Stacy and I used to make so many shirts for her boys. I scanned an UNO card, enlarged and printed it out, cut out the shape, traced it onto freezer paper, ironed the freezer paper onto the shirt and put straight bleach on the shirt inside the stencil. Usually, it bleaches the shirt white. Unfortunately, I always pick shirts that don't bleed. I left the bleach on for 45 minutes and this is as light as I could get the shirt to turn:
We made a banner too.  It has UNO cards stuck in with the letters and it's spray-painted glittery (because everything is better with glitter!):
We made cards for guests to fill out for Thor--guests fill in the blanks to give Thor advice for when he is older. We pinned the cards on a ribbon for people to fill them out during the party.
And my pinata! Bekkie and Gavin helped a lot with the pinata. I have to add that Bekkie thought I was crazy for wanting to make it. I made these a lot at school when I was a little kid growing up in rural California (ie farmland with migrant Mexican workers). We celebrated Cinco de Mayo every year in elementary school by making pinatas and eating homemade churros (yum!). So I just couldn't bring myself to pay $14 for a star (NOT in line with my theme) pinata.  But I forgot how long it takes.  We spent a good 6 hours making it.
But I loved the way it turned out and the ficus tree was perfect for hanging it:

After Thor's turn hitting it, the kids each took whacks at it until it broke.
And then there was the cake. It's not as pretty as it was inside my mind, but whoa nelly is it tasty!!!
It has four layers--red, yellow, blue, and green, representing the four UNO colors of course!! And yes, those are M&Ms around it.
Thoe was getting tired by this point. He thought the cake was ok--but he did NOT like the cold icecream.
What a cute baby!!!
He kindof got the hang of opening presents. But he wanted to stop and play with everything before he was done opening all of them.


All in all we had a great time.  Thanks everyone that came and celebrated with us!

No comments:

Post a Comment